Technology Solutions to Humanitarian Challenges
Are you working on mobile technology solutions to support global humanitarian responses to these two challenging situations:
- Complex Emergencies – a major humanitarian crisis that requires a multi-faceted, cross-sectoral, international response.
- Forced Displacement – where people are forced from their home or country, often due to armed conflict or natural disaster.
Then apply now to the GSMA Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation Fund, which has £300,000 for mobile technology solutions to development challenges. The Fund is especially interested in projects – implemented through collaborative partnerships – that can demonstrate long-term sustainability (i.e. commercial, technical, social, economic, environmental) beyond the lifespan of the grant.
Grant Application Deadline: August 10, 2018
The GSMA Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation Fund call for proposals is focused on 5 key themes within humanitarian contexts:
Mobile Enabled Utilities
Mobile-enabled solutions which aim to improve access to, or efficiency in the delivery of water and sanitation (WASH) and energy services for crisis-affected populations are required.
Gender & Inclusivity
Mobile-enabled solutions which focus on reducing the gender gap in access to digital humanitarian services and enhance equality and accessibility of assistance for vulnerable segments of the population are required.
Mobile Financial Services
Mobile-enabled solutions and partnerships that increase displaced populations access to mobile financial services, or which enhance the links between humanitarian cash transfers and longer-term financial inclusion for beneficiaries are required.
Mobile-enabled digital identity solutions which improve beneficiary registration and subsequent aid delivery, or provide secure digital identity profiles that can benefit refugees and force displaced persons are required.
Food Security, Adaptation and Resilience to Climate Change
Mobile-enabled solutions which address vulnerabilities to food insecurity & climatic change over time, and enhance long-term livelihood adaptation strategies are required.
Grant Funding Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for a GSMA Mobile for Humanitarian Innovation Fund grant, applicants must be able to:
- Provide formal evidence of a partnership (e.g. contract/MoU) with one or more eligible organization (s).
- Clearly, demonstrate how the proposed project meets one of the Fund’s five focus areas.
- Have a minimum viable product or solution that is ready to scale
- Have the necessary rights and permissions required to operate in the selected implementation area (i.e. refugee settlements).
- Commit to providing the required match funding for the selected grant type.
- Be in satisfactory financial health, have adequate financial systems and human resource capacity to implement the grant project.